TE-FOOD is a successful farm-to-table livestock and fresh food traceability solution, focusing on emerging markets. Since 2016, TE-FOOD has been implemented in Vietnam. As a farm-to-table solution, TE-FOOD tracks the items through the whole supply chain (farm, slaughterhouse, wholesaler, retailer) and provides tools to consumers, supply chain companies, and authorities to gain food history and food quality insights. TE-FOOD provides physical identification tools, mobile and web based software solutions in a PPP model (low or no upfront fee, and long term contract). TE-FOOD charges for the identification tools, the data transactions made in the system, and custom services.Their customers are governments, private companies, and professional organizations. TE-FOOD is optimized for emerging markets. Despite it uses modern technology, it’s the cheapest solution available, with no need for special equipment. The business model fits emerging countries, making it a profitable business. They detailed, practical implementation guide ensures scalability in other countries.
SOCIAL PROBLEMS TO SOLVE
-1 in 10 people gets ill each year from foodborne diseases.
– Lack of food safety processes result in the death of 400,000 people, mostly children under age 5.
Antimicrobial resistance, overuse of antibiotic drugs:
– Common overuse of animal antibiotics caused the emergence of antibiotic-resistant infections, which totals $20 billion in health care costs each year only in the U.S.
– By 2050, antimicrobial resistance (AMR) can cause low-income, developing countries to lose more than 5% of their GDP and push up to 28 million people into poverty.
– Food sector is the most affected industry by economic inequality.
– Employees in agriculture among lowest earners.
THEIR PLANNED SOLUTION
They plan to replace the current, decentralized transaction ledger with a blockchain based structure. They also plan to extend the current functionality of the system, which will have great impact of the sales possibilities of TE-FOOD: Decentralized transaction ledger Gain additional credibility by a blockchain based transaction and food information ledger. Food safety sensor tools Mitigating supply chain debates by measuring and logging the environmental conditions of transported livestock and food. Marketplace Gaining new markets and improve engagement by providing B2B livestock and fresh food trading possibility for the supply chain. Extended food categories Gaining new markets by extending TE-FOOD to track and trace cattles, fish/seafood, fruits/vegetables, and animal antibiotics.
Buying traceability transactions:
1. Supply chain participants indicate the number of transactions they want to buy in the TE-FOOD B2B app.
2. To cover the cost of the desired number of transactions, they can buy TFOODs for fiat money or ETH on the Exchange, and store it in their TFOOD wallet.
3. The smart contract automatically:
a. deducts 10% of the TFOOD tokens, and 9% is exchanged to transactions on a fixed exchange rate for supply chain reimbursement (See the Reimbursements process), transfers 1% to the TE-FOOD Consumer Rewards wallet,
b. exchanges the tokens to transactions on a fixed exchange rate,
c. the remaining tokens are distributed to the solution provider.
4. On the private blockchain, TE-FOOD deposits the purchased transactions to the supply chain participant’s Transaction wallet.